Saturday, June 14, 2008

Our Crazy New York Adventure

I have finally found the time to tell all you readers of Fosse Family Fun the details of our New York trip. It started out kinda rocky - due to Drew's license being expired we came extremely close to missing our 8am flight out of SLC. Thanks to Drew's library card we were allowed to check in....after much stressing and a lot of brain storming. We boarded the plane with only a few minutes to spare.

Day One - We Made It

After arriving in New York we all climbed into a cab (similar to the Cash Cab, but unfortunately wasn't) and went straight to our hotel located at 58th and 9th. After checking in we got cleaned up and this is when I realized that I had left my "walking" shoes at Drew's parents house. Whoops. So I was stuck wearing flip flops the entire time. No big deal right? Well after walking through half of Central Park I could feel the blisters forming. We arrived at Tottono's Pizza which Chris and Megan had found ahead of time for us (thanks for being so prepared guys). The pizza was great the waitress not so great. After taking pictures of just about everything in the place and after eating every slice of pizza we decided to find a bar or pub to get dessert and watch the Celtics/Lakers game. We found an Irish pub that was no wider than 20 feet and had 10 flat screens jammed in so we could see the game from any and every angle possible. The down side was they didn't serve dessert. As we celebrated the Celtics victory we headed back to the hotel and found a bakery just 2 doors down from our hotel. For those who watch Seinfeld you will be able to appreciate this: the Black & White cookie...Drew had to have one even though they weren't good at all now he can say he's tried one.

Day Two - Sight Seeing

How sweet it is to sleep in with your husband and not have children jumping on you while you attempt to keep your eyes closed. 3 beautiful days of sleeping in....thanks Marie. After getting a nice late start and having a delicious breakfast at the same bakery we had dessert we headed towards Time Square. After visiting places like the Hershey store, the M&M store and Toys R' Us we ended up in the center of Time Square. After wandering and browsing for a few hours we stopped at a street vendor for lunch. And got pork gyros and I had a chicken pita. However, I don't think there is a difference between the gyro and the pita. We sat in this square which seemed to be a popular local for New York's finest to enjoy lunch. It was time for our Circle Line tour so we headed to the pier but not before enjoying some Mister Softie ice-cream. Let me just mention that this was the start of Drew's obsession for Ice-cream. After Mister Softie he had Dippin Dots at the Pier and then had an ice-cream bar on the boat....it didn't end there. So after seeing the Statue of Liberty, the Brooklyn bridge and having to listen to our boat guide tell us every detail regarding New York real estate we ended our 2 hour boat ride of the lower half of Manhattan. I don't know how we fit this all in but we also went to the Museum of Modern Art aka MoMA. We spent a couple hours perusing and pondering over such insightful artwork (at least that's what the hundreds of other people there seemed to be doing). No just kidding there were some cool things there among the random and inappropriate pieces. After seeking out Starry Night - Van Gogh and coming across some of Andy Warhol's work we headed out for dinner at Carnagie Deli.

Day Three - Game Day

We were a bit uncertain of which train and which exit was going to take us to Yankee stadium - once we entered the subway we realized that we would only need to follow everyone that was sporting Yankees gear. We got there pretty early and as I went to enter the stadium they told me I couldn't take my bag in due to heightened security since 9-11. 10 bucks later (left it with a bag check somewhere in between these stores) we got into the bleacher section where they jam pack hundreds of people on narrow metal benches that burn your butt. We only stayed through the 7th inning stretch...normally I would have wanted to stay and enjoy the game but heat was so unbearable that they were handing out free cups of water to keep everyone hydrated. We saw one lady be carried out of the stadium cuz she was suffering from heat stroke. Crazy. Anyway, we missed a great ending to the game - when we left the Yankees were down by like 3 runs (don't quote me on that) and we found out that they won with a walk off - ask Drew what that means cuz I'm not entirely sure. We got to see some great plays from both teams but couldn't cheer for the Royals out of fear for my life.
We got cleaned up and decided to walk around and explore. We found H&M a great store that Megan said was fantastic. So we did some shopping - even Drew got a shirt. I got this fabulous dress that I haven't worn yet. Anyway...we found a different bar this time that served dessert so we watched the Mets game and chatted about Chris' Nanny (funny stories man) and enjoyed cheesecake with a vanilla chocolate sauce. YUM!

Day Four - My Birthday

We gave a lot of thought into seeing a show on Broadway - after thinking it through we decided to spend the day along Canal Street which runs along Chinatown and Little Italy. So we took the subway down and before we knew it Megan and I were pro's at buying knock off bags on Canal Street. What an experience! I knew I wanted a Prada bag so you pick a store, walk in and they ask you what you want. Sounds pretty basic right? Some will escort you to their back rooms or in my case a room hidden in their basement. Some will shake their heads informing us that they don't have Prada. Megan however was looking for a Louis Vuitton a bag retailing at $1040.00. She figured out that they won't sell them out of the stores so you have to pick one of the random people walking up and down canal street and show them on these little cards which one you are interested in. Then they run down the street out of sight to their stash and come running back with it inside a black grocery sack. She paid $40.00 - CRAZY!
After a crazy lunch of slimy dishes and chicken feet we wandered around Little Italy and Chinatown and ended up in SoHo which a really cool place with the cutest boutiques. Around 4pm we decided to call it a day and head back to the hotel. I ended up taking a 2 hour nap or close to that. It was just so hot. I never expected New York to be that hot. Anyway, we got all dressed up and headed out to a fancy Indian meal at a place called - Chola. It was fantastic. I couldn't have asked for a better birthday. So it wouldn't be complete without another bar with more fabulous dessert. We found a place really close to our hotel so we stopped in and ordered a Apple Crumb Pie (it's like apple cobbler but it in pie form) with ice-cream of course and the Chocolate Rockefeller(a chocolate moose filled Cake with rich and creamy frosting) and more ice-cream.
We topped off the evening with dancing at our hotel's club called Hudson Bar.

It was a fantastic trip, one I'll never forget. Next year Boston hear we come.

4 comments:

adventure knitter said...

That's funny that you guys had to check out the store H&M! I LOVE that store...it has the cutest/funkiest kids's clothes.

Leah said...

Christy - Can I get back in your good graces so I can read your blog on my account? Karpy73@gmail.com. Thanks!

Matt.

Matt said...

Great pictures. Looked like you had a wonderful time.

Message to Andy: Is he ever going to post the movie casting? I'm going to stop checking his blog, soon!

Christy said...

Sorry about the delay -- we are still searching for pictures of everyone. I think it's going to be posted on my blog so you can stop checking his blog....he doesn't really post anymore as I'm sure you've noticed.